During a consultation about an NIH research grant, the term "case cohort design" came up. The Case Cohort design is similar to a nest Case Control design, but also has some important differences.
Here are two published examples of a Case Cohort design:
- Prospective study of coronary heart disease incidence in relation to fasting total homocysteine, related genetic polymorphisms, and B vitamins: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) study. Folsom AR, Nieto FJ, McGovern PG, Tsai MY, Malinow MR, Eckfeldt JH, Hess DL, Davis CE. Circulation 1998: 98(3); 204-10. [Medline] [Abstract] [Full text] [PDF]
- Risk of upper aerodigestive tract cancers in a case-cohort study of autoworkers exposed to metalworking fluids. Zeka A, Eisen EA, Kriebel D, Gore R, Wegman DH. Occup Environ Med 2004: 61(5); 426-31. [Medline] [Abstract] [Full text] [PDF]
And here are four published examples of a Nested Case Control design:
- Benign breast disease, recent alcohol consumption, and risk of breast cancer: a nested case-control study. Tamimi RM, Byrne C, Baer HJ, Rosner B, Schnitt SJ, Connolly JL, Colditz GA. Breast Cancer Res 2005: 7(4); R555-62. [Medline] [Abstract] [Full text] [PDF]
- Abdominal fat and hip fracture risk in the elderly: the Dubbo Osteoporosis Epidemiology Study. Nguyen ND, Pongchaiyakul C, Center JR, Eisman JA, Nguyen TV. BMC Musculoskelet Disord 2005: 6(1); 11. [Medline] [Abstract] [Full text] [PDF]
- Relation of childhood gastrointestinal disorders to autism: nested case-control study using data from the UK General Practice Research Database. Black C, Kaye JA, Jick H. Bmj 2002: 325(7361); 419-21. [Medline] [Abstract] [Full text] [PDF]
- Familial, psychiatric, and socioeconomic risk factors for suicide in young people: nested case-control study. Agerbo E, Nordentoft M, Mortensen PB. Bmj 2002: 325(7355); 74. [Medline] [Abstract] [Full text] [PDF]
When I get the time, I will prepare a formal definition of these two terms.
You can find an earlier version of this page on my original website.