I'm updating some of my training classes to use examples from open source journals, because it is easier for me to include content of these articles directly in the web pages. An example of this is practice exercises for my training class Statistical Evidence: Apples or Oranges?
But the previous practice exercise, which used a wider range of journals had some cute articles in the mix. I'll especially miss the article on episiotomy.
You should bring a research paper with you to the class for use in the practice exercises. The following research papers will also serve as examples for the practice exercises.
- Comparison of maternal and infant outcomes between vacuum extraction and forceps deliveries. S. W. Wen, S. Liu, M. S. Kramer, S. Marcoux, A. Ohlsson, R. Sauve, R. Liston. Am J Epidemiol 2001: 153(2); 103-7. [Medline]
- Effect of community based management in failure to thrive: randomised controlled trial. C. M. Wright, J. Callum, E. Birks, S. Jarvis. Bmj 1998: 317(7158); 571-4. [Medline]
- The effect of vitamin E and beta carotene on the incidence of lung cancer and other cancers in male smokers. Alpha-Tocopherol Beta Carotene Cancer Prevention Study Group. NEJM 1994: 330(15); 1029-35. [Medline]
- Factors influencing the relation of infant feeding to asthma and recurrent wheeze in childhood. A. L. Wright, C. J. Holberg, L. M. Taussig, F. D. Martinez. Thorax 2001: 56(3); 192-7. [Medline]
- Influence of maternal age at delivery and birth order on risk of type 1 diabetes in childhood: prospective population based family study. Bart's-Oxford Family Study Group. P. J. Bingley, I. F. Douek, C. A. Rogers, E. A. Gale. British Medical Journal 2000: 321(7258); 420-4. [Medline]
- Lack of effect of long-term supplementation with beta carotene on the incidence of malignant neoplasms and cardiovascular disease. C. H. Hennekens, J. E. Buring, J. E. Manson, M. Stampfer, B. Rosner, N. R. Cook, C. Belanger, F. La Motte, J. M. Gaziano, P. M. Ridker, W. Willett, R. Peto. N Engl J Med 1996: 334(18); 1145-9. [Medline]
- Male Pattern Baldness and Coronary Heart Disease: The Physician's Health Study. Paulo A Lotufo. Archives of Internal Medicine 2000: 160165-171. [Medline]
- Midline episiotomy and anal incontinence: retrospective cohort study. Lisa B Signorello, Bernard L Harlow, Amy K Chekos, John T Repke. British Medical Journal 2000: 320(7227); 86-90. [Medline]
- Obstetric care and proneness of offspring to suicide as adults: case-control study. Bertil Jacobson, Marc Bygdeman. British Medical Journal 1998: 317(7169); 1346-1349. [Medline]
- Postmarketing surveillance study of a non-chlorofluorocarbon inhaler according to the safety assessment of marketed medicines guidelines. J. G. Ayres, C. D. Frost, W. F. Holmes, D. R. Williams, S. M. Ward. British Medical Journal 1998: 317(7163); 926-30. [Medline]
- Preventing injuries in children: cluster randomised controlled trials in primary care. D Kendrick, P Marsh, K Fielding, P Miller. British Medical Journal 1999: 318(7189); 980-83. [Medline]
- Use of ultramolecular potencies of allergen to treat asthmatic people allergic to house dust mite: double blind randomised controlled clinical trial. G T Lewith, A D Watkins, M E Hyland, S Shaw, J A Broomfield, G Dolan, S T Holgate. British Medical Journal 2002: 324(7336); 520-. [Medline]
You can find an earlier version of this page on my original website.